Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Day 372...

It's a new year, so it's time to turn over a new leaf. I decided last week that I needed a more strenuous workout. It was time to graduate to something new and better. I've been hosting a “Zumba World Party” in my living room every morning, and I am loving it! Sometimes a change in scenery can change your perspective.
Speaking of perspective, I've been needing a change in mine. It's my instinct to take the hopeless romantic approach to most things. I've always been a dreamer, and I love this about myself. However, I'm afraid that this has been hindering my forward progress. Recently, I've read some articles that have changed my point of view on my relationship with God. There are three false statements that I have been using for most of my life that I have decided to stop using. It was easier to think romantically about my relationship with God than to take it for face-value.
God won't give me more than I can handle.” Sure He will. He did it for me in 2013. Just when I thought I couldn't deal with one more obstacle, He gave me another one. But, He did it so that I would turn to Him and seek His guidance, strength and comfort to make it through. I can see that now that the dust has started to settle. I have never been closer to the Lord or more immersed in his Word than I am now.
God will always do what's best for me.” Nope, He's not necessarily gonna do that either. He will do what is best for the purpose of furthering His kingdom. That might mean that I have to deal with a nasty physical situation. God sees what it will take to set our eyes to desire eternity in Heaven with Him and might do that for us instead, even when it feels painful, unfair, and lonely. Now that I understand this, it's a bit easier to swallow when I think maybe He's not changing my circumstances because someone else needs me to be right where I am. God uses His people to lead others to Him as well.
God has a wonderful plan for me.” I desperately want this one to be true, but it might not be. God gives us plenty of examples in the Bible of the very opposite of this. I think it is possible that some people do live wonderfully pleasant lives. But, often that has to do with the fact that they have made a point to be content with everything and anything God has in store for them. I am trying to get there.
When I get stuck in a rut, it helps to change the scenery. I love to get out and go to the woods or the beach and just enjoy nature. It helps me feel calm, uplifted, and renewed. I'm beginning to notice that when I change the way I see the different parts of my life, a similar feeling comes over me. Letting God lead is always what is best for me. It makes so many things so much simpler.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3: 5-6)


No comments:

Post a Comment